Choosing the best insurance plan requires evaluating your health status, identifying care preferences, contacting medical providers, and asking specific questions. A brief overview of HMO, PPO, and Indemnity options follows.
HMO - Health Maintenance Organization.
- HMO plans focus on a regional network of doctors, hospitals, and health care providers.
- A primary care physician oversees and coordinates your medical care within the network.
- Out-of-network services are not covered except in emergencies.
- HMO's typically cost less, but offer less flexibility.
PPO - Preferred Provider Organization.
- These plans work best with in-network doctors, hospitals, and health care providers.
- Covered individuals can receive care from out-of-network providers, but pay more out-of-pocket.
Indemnity - Fee for Service.
- Covered individuals can obtain care from any doctor, hospital, or healthcare professional.
- More flexibility typically means higher premiums.