Auto insurance if your car is damaged in a hit and run crash

Collision is not required by law, but lenders usually insist on it. This coverage pays for vehicle repairs following an accident with another vehicle or fixed object. Check you policy's collision deductible, as this is how much you pay out-of-pocket before the insurance company steps in.

Without collision coverage you are on your own to pay for repairs.

Auto policies provide uninsured motorist protection and often include underinsured motorist coverage as well. UM pays injury-related damages following a crash with an uninsured or hit and run driver. UIM pays when the at-fault driver has lower bodily injury limits than your UIM limits. UM and UIM do not cover vehicle repair.

Policyholders without collision insurance can buy uninsured motorist property damage. This optional add-on pays for repairs to your vehicle caused by an identified uninsured driver.

Tips to keep in mind following a hit and run accident:

  • Contact the police to file a crash report.
  • If possible, gather information about the car that hit you (license plate, make, model, color, etc.).
  • Note how the crash occurred including the date, time and location.
  • Take pictures of the accident scene and damage to your car.
  • Get names and contact numbers for any witnesses.
  • Report the incident to your auto insurance company if your policy has the appropriate coverage.