Keep the following points in mind to protect yourself and your family.
- Watch the sky for changing weather patterns.
- Turn on a weather radio, and listen for storm updates.
- Know the difference between watches (conditions are right for severe weather to occur) and warnings (a storm with high wind, tornado, rain, hail, or lightning is about to happen or is already occurring).
- Practice tornado drills periodically so household members know how to respond to a weather emergency. Include pets in the plan.
- Designate a place where the family will go for safe shelter. A basement or low-level interior room without windows offers the best protection.
- Do not stay in a mobile home if a tornado is nearby. Take cover in a storm cellar or sturdy building.